Legal Update – Electrical Safety

Dear Landlord,

The law has now changed with regards electrical safety in rented properties. It is now necessary to have a fully electrical safety-complaint property for all new Lets.

Key Legal Milestones

1st April 2020 – Law changes to state all new tenancies from 1st July 2020 need to be accompanied with a pass certificate in order for the tenancy to commence.

1st July 2020 – No new tenancies can commence without a fully compliant property and certificate. If a property fails the test and does not conform to current standards, the remedial work will need to be completed before the property can be let.

1st April 2021 – all existing tenancies must now be up to the current standards and a certificate in place. If a property fails the test and does not conform to current standards, the remedial work will HAVE to be completed within 28 days in order for you to not breach the law.

Non conformity to any of the above runs the risk of fines up to £30,000

We’re already experiencing delays for actioning these necessary checks and fear this will only get worse in the coming months. This is why we have decided to get all properties booked in as soon as possible to avoid lengthy void periods for you if rectification work is necessary at your property.

Price List for an Electrical Safety Check on your Property

Property SizeFlat House 
1 bedroom £147£147
2 bedroom£165£184
3 Bedroom £184£210
4 Bedroom £232
5 bedroom £294
Assuming 1 single phase consumer unit | Prices valid until end Aug ’20

We will go an ahead and organise each inspection and appointment with them and send you across the report. You can then rest assured that your property is up to spec regarding the electrics. 

Already have a Electrical Safety Certificate?

If you have (or think you may have) an electrical safety certificate for your property, please ensure you send us a copy within 14 days. If we don’t receive one from you within 14 days, we will make arrangements to have the test carried out. This is necessary due to the large volume of bookings required.

Want to arrange yourself?

No problem, please complete the form below to let us know you’re arranging this.

If you would like to arrange the logistics of the test yourself, please complete the form below to let us know, so we don’t arrange one as well as you.

Only complete this form if you don’t want us to get the test completed on your property(ies)

PLEASE NOTE: If we don’t hear from you within 14 days of our email, we will make arrangements to have the test carried out.

Backlog logistics

As the entire private rented sector will be flooded with test demands from electricians, we plan on booking the inspections in asap. This is to avoid the risk of your property sitting empty if your tenant happens to decide to move.

Please read the below which explains what the electricians will be addressing on the inspections, it also clearly indicates why it is important to complete these. 

WHAT IS AN EICR (electrical installation condition report)?

An electrical installation condition report (EICR), or periodic inspection report as they used to be called are often referred to by customers as a Landlord Safety Test or Homebuyers Test.
Do I need an Electrical Condition Report? The simple answer is yes, whether it’s your home, a business or a property you rent out, your electrical installation should always be covered by an in-date Electrical Condition Report. Many legal documents refer to an Electrical Condition Report as a way of satisfying their requirements – The Electricity at Work Act as one example.

Did you know that if you rent out a property and your tenant is electrocuted due to unsafe electrics, then you can be prosecuted? Claiming that you were unaware of the condition of the electrical installation is not a suitable defence. In many areas, the local council will insist on a Condition Report for licencing rental properties.

What about the subject of insurance? Many insurers require an Electrical Condition Report before providing cover, especially where workers or the public are concerned. How would you feel about being taken to court for electrocuting a tenant only for your insurer to tell you that you’re not covered and you’ll have to cover the costs?


During an EICR, the consumer unit (or fuse board), wiring, and electrical accessories are thoroughly tested and inspected for faults or deviations from the Wiring Standards. Throughout the test, the following will be inspected and tested:

§    The adequacy of the earthing and bonding.
§    Devices for protection against fire and electric shock.
§    Any damage or wear and tear that might affect the safety of the properties’ inhabitants.
§    Identification of any damaged electrical fittings and accessories.
§    Identification of any exposed live wires that could cause a fire or injury.

Many faults can’t be seen simply by looking and are only picked up during testing, we have recently found pipes exposed in a bathroom supplying the shower that had become live under fault conditions

It would have saved the landlord a considerable amount of money and paperwork if it had been picked up during an EICR.


The recommended frequencies for having electrical testing carried out will vary depending on the type of premises, the recommended frequencies are as follows:

BTL or Rented Homes – Under the ‘Landlord and Tenants Act (1985) landlords must ensure that the electrical installation in a rented property is maintained safely throughout a tenancy. To ensure this, BS7671 recommend an EICR test at change of tenancy or at least every 5 years. We also recommend annual PAT testing.

We realise that not everyone may apply and if your property is a new build it should have come with a report from the builder to cover this for you if under the 5 years of age and you need only forward this to us.

If you do not want us to go ahead with Electrical condition testing on your property. Could we please have an email from you, stating that you will be taking on the responsibility of this testing and ensuring the safety of your tenants with your own contractor and forwarding the reports.

Once completed the cost will be deducted from your statement in the usual way, any works needed as a result of the test under category C1 and 2 will be quoted for works. If you would like to discuss this further please do get in touch.

Need more info?

The Association of Residential Lettings Agents has published the following article:

The government website contains detailed information about the change in legislation: